What are your most pressing items to accomplish on school mornings? For us, beyond getting out of bed and getting dressed, breakfast and oral hygene are two items we strive to accomplish daily. After all, both are really important to overall health.
Here are some tips to help get your back-to-school schedule going in the right direction.
- Make breakfast a priority. Kids who start the day right with a solid breakfast keep their minds on their studies and not on their stomachs. Plan ahead to have some quick, easy breakfasts that are high in protein and whole grains and low in sugar (for example, Van’s Natural Foods 8 Whole Grains Pancakes and Waffles, or its latest better-for-you option, Ancient Grains cereal featuring 6g of protein and 5g of fiber), and make sure your morning routine includes time for kids to eat.
- Have happier trips to the dentist. The morning rush can make time for brushing and flossing scarce. Plan time for kids to brush their teeth before school and add a Plackers Kids flosser, in fun animal shapes and tasty berry flavors, to help keep the dentist’s drill at bay all year long.
- Go to bed earlier. A good night’s sleep is important for concentration and mood. Reading and other quiet activities before bedtime help children wind down better than TV or video games.
- Exercise. Kids who play outdoors after school, whether in organized school or community sports or just with friends at the local park, are less likely to gain weight than kids who flop on the couch for hours of TV, and they have an easier time falling asleep at bedtime because they are actually tired.
- Healthier eating. Lunches and afterschool snacks don’t have to include chips, cookies and sodas. Healthy snacks like cheese sticks, cut-up fruits, veggies and dip, frozen yogurt, whole-grain versions of kid favorites like Goldfish are just a few ideas for kids who need a snack between and dinner.
Vans and Plackers are offering one reader a prize pack filled with Plackers products and coupons for FREE Vans products!
You can enter daily by sharing the details of this giveaway with friends, then leaving a comment in the comments (top of the post). To share easily, locate the share buttons below this post.
Your comment will register you for the giveaway, but your personal information will not be shown.
The winner will be picked on Friday, August 20th. Share and comment daily to increase your chances of winning.